In addition to completing the general requirements for admission, WVU Law requires that to be considered for admission, all non-U.S. citizens whose first language is not English, take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve a score of at least 600 (paper-based) and 100 (internet-based) and have foreign credentials translated by a credential service within the U.S. 

For information on the general requirements, please visit our  Apply page.

Please read our Admission Policy.

Is there financial aid for international students?

To qualify for federal financial aid from the United States government you must be considered an eligible non-citizen. You are an eligible non-citizen if you are:

  • A U.S. permanent resident and you have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551).
  • A conditional permanent resident (I-551C).
  • Are an other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee”,”Asylum Granted”, “Indefinite Parole”, “Humanitarian Parole”, or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant."

If you are not eligible for financial aid through the United States government here is some information that may be helpful to you:

Tuition and fees

Visit the Cost of Attendance page for current WVU Law tution, fees and other expenses.

Payment of tuition and fees

The Office of Student Accounts has an online payment system. Approximately one month before the term begins, you will be able to view your bill and payment invoice online. Payment is due prior to the first day of class for the term.

Graduate Assistantships

West Virginia University offers a graduate assistantship program administered through the   Office of Graduate Education and Life Student. Most graduate assistantships include a tuition and fee waiver along with a stipend.

Helpful websites